Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Meet a New Author Tuesday

 
 
 
 Meet Author Meri Martin, author of The Siren's Keeper Series!
 
    
 
 Tell me about your evolution as a writer. When did you start writing, and why?
 
I think I knew I wanted to be an author when I was 7. I wrote a "short" story about an elephant named Ellie. It was probably some of my better work. I seriously knew I wanted to actually write when I was about 24. I always have so many stories going on in my head that I wanted to get them down on paper. Then this one particular story, that is now The Siren's Keeper series, wouldn't go away and it was like a sign that I need to start to write. I have always enjoyed it and use writing as a means to get things out I can't express any other way.
 
  Who are your greatest inspirations, and why?
I really like Charlaine Harris. I am a big fan of all of her series and I think she is a great writer. I also have great admiration for any writer that can put me into the book, where I feel I am a part of their story, not just viewing it from the outside, so to speak.  J.K. Rowling really did that for me in Harry Potter and she is also a huge inspiration. Her story of how she became a writer, her success, her philanthropy, etc,  is what inspires me more than her work itself.
 
 
   Tell me about your current WIP. Is this your typical genre? What inspired this story?
I am currently writing for our “secret project”. It is a love story, not my typical though. The inspiration came from a dream I had that got stuck in my head and then I’ve let it go from there. 
 
 
What’s the hardest part about being an author?
 
Marketing!!! I absolutely hate it, but probably because I am no good at it. Staying focused on just one story sometimes is hard, as well as finding the time to get it all down on paper.
 
       What’s your writing process like? Do you plot and outline, or do you ride “seat of the pants”?
My writing process depends on the story. My current WIP I’ve outlined everything, right down to chapters. My first book I wrote all the way through without any notes or anything else.  If I am working on more than one thing I also like to outline, so I don’t forget ideas, and sometimes, if I have nothing else I’m working on, or have serious writers block on what I’m working on, I’ll write straight through then go back and edit.
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

READERS NEEDED

ARC Readers Needed!

Do you love to read? ARC readers get exclusive access to books before they're published. If you like science fi...