Friday, July 14, 2017

Fangirl Friday: Supernatural


Fangirl Friday: Supernatural

"Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a while."

This Friday is dedicated to one of my all-time favorite shows: Supernatural. I started watching Supernatural when it first aired with season 1, episode 1 way back in  2005. Wow, how time flies! I was so excited when the show started, because it had so much going for it that was severely lacking on prime time TV. The story was engaging, the characters were multi-dimensional, and the show was well put together. 

There's a bit of a fandom divide out there that I will address first off. Most viewers of Supernatural have their favorite character. You have fans of Dean, fans of Sam, fans of Castiel, and fans of Crowley. But, who's my favorite?


There have been too many awesome moments in this show to talk about them all--so I'll go with broad strokes. There's something about a good bro-mance that makes your heart melt. I don't think there's a better example of strong family ties than the relationship between Dean and Sam in Supernatural. (SPOILER!)Their mother is dead, their father is basically absent, and they only have each other to rely on. When the show starts we see them picking up on their journey after a long stretch of time apart. The story brings in Bobby (a father stand-in) and Castiel (an angel best friend) to round out the crew. There are so many awwwww moments between this group that you'd need days to count them all.

The guys have gone up against demons, angels, Leviathans, witches, wendigos, skin walkers, djinn, and even Death himself. We've seen Knights of Hell, Men of Letters and leprechauns. Through it all, we've seen our boys stick together and fight to win. One of my favorite episodes is the one where Dean gets electrocuted and his heart is so damaged that he's not given much time to live. Sam is determined to everything he can to save his brother, and (I won't spoil it) but he finds a way. 

Which brings me to my beef with this show. THEY ALWAYS FIND A WAY. These guys have been hanged, stabbed, ran over, shot, smashed with a piano, and every other death you can imagine. They've been to Heaven, Hell and everything between. THEY ALWAYS COME BACK. For a while I was excited to see my boys kicking a** and taking names. I was excited to see how the writers would get them out of their next big mess. But, after season 7 I stopped getting excited. I started getting frustrated. They've been through so much. They've experienced so much loss and heartache and they always power through. But when are they going to get their ending? I kept thinking "this season has to be the last".... and we're up to 12. There's a rumor that 13 will be the final season, but I'll believe it when I see it. Supernatural has a massive fandom who can GIF the heck out of every post and there's always a Supernatural meme for any situation. Supernatural still makes money. But it's time to go, folks. 

How would I end it?

Well--- Sam and Dean find themselves back in Heaven. It's a long white hallway filled with numbered doors. Of course, their Heaven lies behind door #42. (hee hee) They open the door and they see everyone they've lost over the last 13 seasons. Mom, Dad, Jo, Ellen, Bobby...everyone is there. They all cheer and welcome them inside and Castiel follows them in. The door closes behind them, and the words THE END appear on the door. Fade out.

It doesn't matter how they got there. It doesn't matter that they saved people and lost people and killed people. They're happy. They're together. And it's over.

Supernatural fans are some of the most rabid in the cosmos. We love our boys and we know all the secrets, all the stories, all the jokes. There's nothing like sharing that with millions of people across the globe.

If you haven't seen Supernatural, I highly recommend it. I won't be angry if you give up after season 7 (I wouldn't blame you), but you'll miss out on some amazing storytelling if you don't give it a shot.

SUPERNATURAL FANS comment and let me know, what's your favorite episode? Tell us why?

Until next Friday--House Rules, Sammy: Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole


1 comment:

  1. I love Supernatural. My absolute favorite is Season 5, episode 9, "The Real Ghostbusters." [spoiler alert] They're invited to a fan convention by the author of Supernatural and chaos ensues. No one should give up after Season 7 (although I could see why) - you need to stick it out! You owe it to the characters - I mean, you've been with them this whole time, you need to see it to the end right?

    ReplyDelete

READERS NEEDED

ARC Readers Needed!

Do you love to read? ARC readers get exclusive access to books before they're published. If you like science fi...