Saturday, January 2, 2016

What to do when the reading doldrums hit

 
What to Do When You Are in a Reading Slump
 
 


When I'm bored of every book I pick up, and NOTHING seems to peak my interest I do what I think a lot of readers do... I GO BACK TO A BOOK I LOVE.  When I go back and a read a book that really changed my life; that made me cry, laugh, ugly cry, or really think about life and who I am, I find my way out of the doldrums and back to the enjoyment of reading.

SO- What books do I read when the reading doldrums hit? Check out a few of them below!

 
Everyone who knows me well knows that Heart of Obsidian has to be my favorite adult romance novel OF ALL TIME. I positively adore the PsyChangelings series itself, but this book was the cherry on the top of that delicious book sundae! The hero of this novel produces more emotional FEELS than any other for me... and that's saying a lot considering he's one of the emotionless Psy with a fear that feeling anything can make him lose control of his monumental powers. When I need a swift kick in the proverbial reading pants, this is my first stop on the book shelf!
 
 
 

Pretty close to H.o.O. on my list of must-read books is Born of Silence by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Kenyon is a well known writer of Paranormal Romance, but she also has an AMAZING sci-fi romance series called The League. Born of Silence follows Darling Cruel (who wouldn't fall in love with that name?) on his quest to break the chains of the life that have held him down. He is betrayed, tortured and crapped on by the woman he loves, and he goes quite bonkers in the process. It's the journey back from crazy that makes this romance novel one for the history books! OH THE FEELS!
 


A departure from the adult side of the reading spectrum takes me to one of those books that I read as a child that really impacted me as a person. A Swiftly Tilting Planet is part of the A Wrinkle in Time Saga by Madeline L'Engle. The woman was a genius, and very prolific, so if you haven't read her work I suggest you go out and buy everything she wrote NOW. What's most important to know at ASTP is that we are the makers of our world. The choices we make DO change the future. Add in a magical flying unicorn and it's every girl's dream story (at 12, of course).



Still hanging out in the land of what-has-been, I also take time to read one of my favorite literary children's books, The Phantom Tollbooth. Do you love words? Do you love clever? Then this book is for you! Milo is bored, and boredom can make a boy do very silly things! The word play in TPT is epic! Nothing is as it seems, and yet everything is as it was. What a ride!


Last, but not least, is a book that makes me laugh, cry, and howl at the moon. This is the story of SpongeBob Squarepants. IF he was human, and IF he could see the dead. See, mind you, not hear, because the dead don't speak. Odd Thomas is one of those 1 in a million narrators who hooks you with the first words and drags you along for seven books and countless adventures, all the while making you wonder if any of it is really true. Oh, it must be true, because there's nothing less than wholesome honesty inside Odd Thomas. Mystery, suspense, comedy and a story about love triumphing over all adversity. It's a feel good love-fest!

So there you have it. My go-to reads when I'm down in the reading dumps. What books bring your love of stories back when they take a sabbatical?










1 comment:

  1. Anything by Kresley Cole- I kid you not. I'm in author lust with that woman.

    ReplyDelete

READERS NEEDED

ARC Readers Needed!

Do you love to read? ARC readers get exclusive access to books before they're published. If you like science fi...